1019 Market Street

San Francisco, California

75,000 SF
Year Built: 1909

Project History

Following a fire that destroyed their headquarters in the 1906 Earthquake, the Eastern Outfitting Company opened the doors in 1909 to their busy furniture and carpet department store. They worked with architect George Adrian Applegarth to design their new home. The steel and glass façade, framed by polished white terra cotta Corinthian columns, has been one of the most distinctive buildings on Market Street. In the mid-1900s, 400 lights were built into the frames of the 35 large front windows and the has building illuminated Market Street until the BART construction project on Market Street brought on the economic downturn of Market Street. After years of disrepair the building was acquired in 2011 and underwent a full building renovation.

Project Description

The interior improvements and core building systems were demolished to open and expose the existing redwood columns, beams and framing. Existing lath and plaster were removed throughout the building from the ceilings and brick walls to expose the existing building structure. The original freight elevator shaft was retained for a new modernized and ADA compliant elevator, while a second elevator which had been constructed in the late 1970’s was retained and modernized. The existing first floor storefront had been removed at some point during the buildings history, so after working with The City of San Francisco and the Historic Planning Department, a new storefront was constructed to mimic the original façade. The design was based on archived images of the original façade obtained from the records at the University of California at Berkley Library. Additionally, a full Historic Renovation Plan was prepared and approved by the Department of Historic Planning for the restoration of the existing terra cotta columns and decorative sheet metal façade and cornice. Specific care was placed to match the existing striation of the façade, and replacement materials were ordered from countries around the world to match the existing details. The 400 light bulbs around the original bay windows, which had not worked in 40 years, were repaired and restored to working order. The rear façade of the building required extensive repair and replacement of the existing façade due to disrepair. The first floor was converted to incorporate a retail component off Market Street, and a main lobby entrance to what ultimately would be a single tenant space for Zendesk. The basement of the building had no natural light source, so two large openings were placed near the rear window wall of the building to allow light to flow into occupiable space. Ultimately this space was utilized as an auditorium space connecting the first floor and basement space into one continuous area. At the time of acquisition, the building was services by the original electrical equipment and building plumbing. It also relied on the existing windows as a source of cooling as no HVAC system was present in the building. To modernize the building a new electrical service and water and sewer services were brought to the building, and a new HVAC system was installed.

Before Images