Towne Storage

Portland, Oregon
Central Eastside / Lloyd District

108,600 SF
Year Built: 1916
Awards: Portland Business Journal 2017 Transformer Award / 2018 NAIOP Development of the year, 2nd Place

Project History

Originally constructed in 1916 and inhabited by a leading wholesale paper distributor until 1957, the timber-framed brick building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990 and had fallen into disrepair. The design and renovation was reviewed and approved by the Portland Historic Landmarks Commission and special attention was paid to respect and restore the history of the building, including the old painted bear logos, Towne Storage name, ghost signage and the 130-foot steel water tower. Upon completion of the massive restoration, AutoDesk signed a single-tenant lease for the entire building for its new corporate office.

Project Description

The building was seismically upgraded and renovated into creative office space. A sixth-floor penthouse was added and includes a 4,000-square foot roof deck with incredible downtown views. The scope also included:

  • Envelope improvements
  • Restoration of the existing water tower and reinforcement from the roof all the way to the footings
  • New MEPFS throughout
  • New roof and elevator core
  • All exterior sitework, including replication of rose pigmented mortar
  • Custom aluminum clad wood windows
  • Restaurant space
  • Two rooftop decks
  • New glass and metal panel penthouse added to create a 6th level of office space

In the News